Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Learning Moment

Has God ever caught your attention suddenly and told you exactly what He wants you to do? Stopped you from thinking only of yourself for just a second and made you realize something that you really already knew but hadn't been applying to your life? In other words, has God ever thrown something in your face that you should have seen long before?

Have you ever refused to listen to Him? Never let the thought of there being another side to something enter your mind? If you keep ignoring Him, it'll come to the point where He stops putting opportunities in front of you and you may never become all He wants you to be.

God speaks to us in funny ways sometimes. I am not talking about God immitating Popeye, Mickey Mouse, or Steve Carell, or even the burning bush or the audible voice. I am talking about the different ways that he shows us when we are wrong; the obstacles that get in our way or the doors that he closes, the people that He puts in our lives. Sometimes He lets us struggle and try to figure out what we should do and sometimes it is as easy as black and white. Sometimes we are just not wanting to hear the right answer and we turn our backs when He wants to teach us.

I find no joy in public speaking. I would much rather have a couple of people listen to what I have to say than deliver a speech in front of hundreds. I never know where to begin or even if what I say will make any difference. I dont have the knowledge or practice of writing sermons or teaching Biblical lessons; all that I say comes from personal experience. That alone puts me in a very uncomfortable, vulnerable, and nerve-wrecking position. I don't feel like I have very much experience in anything and don't really see why it would be beneficial for anyone to listen to me ramble on about my life. Well, God certainly threw one right at me and it hit me in the face. Every one of those reasons for me to not get up and speak on any topic is a selfish one. I could never say the right words even if I tried, but that is not something that I need to worry about because in that situation God will be the only one talking. And if I am in any way interrested in becoming the woman that He wants me to be, how is that going to happen if I won't let Him work in and through me? This doesn't necesarily mean that it is going to be any easier or that I am even going to enjoy it more, what it means is that I am not going to say "no" to God and this opportunity to grow.

*special thanks to a certain someone who was there to discuss this with me, and see me come to this realization without telling me what I needed to do

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home