Thursday, June 28, 2007

Wednesday Night Worship: 6-27-07

The past few summers I have been trying to work on my relationship with God, learning about Him and experiencing Him in ways that I never have before. I like to think of summer as the perfect time to bring God back into the places in my life that I have pushed Him out of. I get so distracted during the school year with everything that is going on and I really do kind of push Him out or put Him on the back burner in certain areas of my life. My prayer life is the main thing that suffers and turns into only going to God when I am really struggling and in need instead of actually spending time with Him. I have gotten into this really bad habit of a few quick prayers as a result, so that I don’t have to find a place and set aside time to be alone with God. So, something that I have been working on this summer is breaking that bad habit and learning to stay focused and pray for an extended amount of time. One of the best things that I have found is turning the radio off in my car and talking out loud to God as I drive. The longer the drive is the better because it turns into some really deep, meaningful prayer and things that had been on my heart and I hadn’t been able to put into words suddenly come out. Linda also suggested singing out loud to God in the car. I tried that on my last drive home and it ended up being about half prayer and half singing for the whole drive. So, I definitely recommend that; it was amazing.

Also, in my prayer I just recently began to try to address God as my Father and talk to Him as if He were here and I wanted to tell Him all about my day and things that were happening in my life. I feel like that is an important view of God to have. I have always struggled with seeing Him that way. Naturally when I think of a father I think of my dad and I know that I don’t have the closest relationship with him. Therefore in trying to make God my Father you can see where it would be difficult especially when it comes to communication. My earthly father is not perfect, as no human being is, but God is perfect and the perfect Father and forcing myself to think that way and realize it changes my prayer and overall view of God. He is not only a powerful, just, and almighty God, but a loving, caring father who wants to be a part of my life and I am His daughter.

Another major thing in my spiritual life that has been lacking is listening and hearing God’s voice and knowing when it is Him. I get so caught up in focusing on talking to God that I tend to forget that the other part of prayer is listening. When I can get myself to pray for 30 min I think that I am doing great, but the real challenge is being silent and maintaining that focus without distraction or interruption. If you were at the University Church this last Sunday then you heard what Ken said about listening being one of the best things that we can offer. As he mentioned, Jesus listened to many and it was then that He drew out the deep waters of their souls.

James 1:19
“My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”

Listening is precisely what God does in our lives, does He not also deserve to be heard?

God speaks to us each in a different and unique way but we have to be listening and willing to hear when He does.

1Samuel 3:1-10
“The boy Samuel ministered before the Lord under Eli. In those days the word of the Lord was rare; there were not many visions. One night Eli, whose eyes were becoming so weak that he could barely see, was lying down in his usual place. The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the Ark of God was. Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, ‘Here I am.’ And he ran to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’ But Eli said, ‘I did not call; go back and lie down.’ So he went and lay down. Again the Lord called, ‘Samuel!’ And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’ ‘My son,’ Eli said, ‘I did not call; go back and lie down.’ Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The Word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. The Lord called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’ Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, ‘Go and lie down and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’’ So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’ Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’”

Samuel may not have known that it was God calling him at first but each time he was ready to listen and when Eli told him that it was the Lord, he answered and heard what the Lord had to say to him. Listening is something that takes practice, especially listening for God’s voice. It takes a conscience effort in staying close in your relationship with him and being willing to hear His voice. Then, I think, you will begin to recognize His voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home